Welcome to the online Jewish Homeland!

Germany to Pay Restitution to Child Holocaust Survivors

By Jspace Staff on 5/29/2013 at 10:24 AM

Categories: Israel, Europe, Finance

Germany to Pay Restitution to Child Holocaust Survivors

The German government is set to pay restitution to survivors who were young children during the Holocaust.

The news came after negotiations with the German Treasury, the Claims Conference, and leaders from the Center of Organizations of Holocaust Survivors in Israel (COHSI).

The payouts will support survivors aged 85 and younger, with birth dates between January 1928 and May 1945. Approximately 80,000 such individuals currently reside in Israel.

"This definitely represents significant progress," said COHSI Chairwoman Colette Avital. "After much effort, this is the first time that the German government is acknowledging the justice of the claim and announcing that it will consider ways to compromise with those children who suffered in the Holocaust, and who were the hardest hit."

She added, "I hope that the German government will make historical justice on the matter, and will act to develop a rapid and adequate system of compensation so that those people, who today are already grandmothers and grandfathers, can get what they deserve in their lifetimes."

The restitution is meant as recognition for the stolen innocence and lost childhood for youths that lived under Nazi rule. Qualifying applicants will be those who lived in nations under the Nazi government and its allies.

"The Germans must consider the ways to compensate them for their orphanhood after their parents were murdered in the Holocaust, compensation for psycho-sociological damage and personal injury that oftentimes had long-term effects," COHSI added in a statement.

Comments

lisa Brazil
lisa Brazil 6/3/2013 at 7:59pm
I was born in 1943 in the Soviet Union during WWII after my parents fled from Poland. Do I qualify for the above restitution program?
Rose Anne Socha-Crispel
Rose Anne Socha-Crispel 6/2/2013 at 9:47pm
My father (who will turn 80 in 2 weeks) is a survivor. He managed to escape France and through the underground found safety in Switzerland. He suffered greatly. His mother was taken away from him in France and murdered. His extended family in Poland were murdered. Eventually as a young youth he made his way to North America with his father. Recently he told me that when he landed here he considered it a new beginning - that was when his life truly started. Perhaps this explains why my father has always been such a positive and loving husband, father and grandfather. I want him to receive the compensation that he truly deserves from the German government. Who may I contact to get the ball rolling?
Ruth Bloch
Ruth Bloch 5/29/2013 at 3:17pm
It is never too late.....My parents were very wise and back in the 60's they hired a German Lawyer in New York and worked on getting the compensation. It worked for them. They received it till the day they closed their eyes. One has to be persistent and keep their eyes open to what ever options are out there.. After all it was owed to them. As it is owed to me. I was very traumatized by the whole experience and did not go to school till the fourth grade. The Nazi's took their home their business and left with a small suitcase at hand. At least we were lucky to survive but many in our immediate family did not Died in Jacenovac Concentration camp. It is a time in our History to never be forgotten and more than that to make sure it doesnt happen again..
Karen Miller
Karen Miller 5/29/2013 at 2:20pm
probably too late for many, sadly...but it's the principal that needed to be addressed....It's about time that this aspect of justice was served!
Ruth Bloch
Ruth Bloch 5/29/2013 at 1:30pm
I am a Child Holocaust Survivor from Croatia who never received restitution. My parents did ....How do I go about getting it who do I contact...????